Burst pipes, dripping faucets, running toilets, pool leaks and slab leaks waste gallons of scarce water, inflate monthly water bills and damage drywall, floors, ceilings and indoor belongings. As 1 in every 318 homes leaks, early leak detection is one of the best ways to conserve water in your Phoenix home or office. Use your water bill as a leak detection tool. Sudden surges in monthly water bills may indicate an indoor or outdoor leak. Plumber Phoenix offers leak detection services to help you stop fast leaky sources, conserve water and save money otherwise spent on high water bills and costly structural damage.
Common Leak Causes
-Poor plumbing maintenance
-Imperfect planning and construction of piping and fittings
-Poor quality of pipe materials
-Clogged drains, stopped sinks, pipe corrosion, loose fittings, faulty valves
Slab Leak Causes
- Incompatible soil may cause a chemical reaction with copper pipes. This is also known as electrolysis and may split open water pipes.
- Over time pressurized water may weaken and crack open indented water pipes.
General Leak Facts
- Undetected toilet leaks discharge 90,000 gallons of water each month, and increase water bills by approximately $500.
***As running toilets can go unnoticed, a simple dye test can confirm a leaky toilet. Insert several drops of food dye into tank without flushing water. If after 15 minutes the bowl contains colored water - a worn out seal around flapper is probably leaking water from tank to bowl***
-A pinhead leak will release 360,000 gallons of water annually, enough to fill 12,000 bathtubs to their overflowing mark.
-A 1/8" pipe hole can leak 2500 gallons of water in 24 hours.
-A dripping faucet, leaky shower head or trickling garden hose can waste up to 600 gallons of water per month.
Leak Warning Signs
1. Changing water meter readings when no water is consumed.
2. Sound of running water when no water is in use.
3. Sudden surges in monthly water bills
4. Chronic sewer backups
5. Damp, warm or discolored areas on walls and floors
6. Foul odors from drains and floors
7. Fractured building foundation, shifting earth, uneven vegetation growth
8. Damp patches on floors and concrete slab
Spa/Pool Leak Symptoms
1 in every 20 pools leaks about 1000 gallons of water per day - enough to fill a standard pool 4 times a year. As 30% of family homes in Phoenix have swimming pools, early leak detection can help many households conserve gallons of water and thousands of dollars. The following warning signs indicate a spa or pool leak:
1. Speedy algae growth following chemical treatment
2. Water levels drop by 1/4"-1/8" in 24 hours
3. Pool structure collapse into ground
4. Loose or falling tiles
5. Cracks and gaps in pool shell or concrete deck
6. Automatic filler continually releases water
7. Standing water, soggy ground and uneven grass growth around pool or spa
Call our leak detectors at Plumber Phoenix for effective solutions at competitive plumbing costs.